Thursday, June 4, 2009

Step 2: Now that you have decided that you need an MBA...

You need to do your research... I shall focus on International MBAs, since i decided on that.
Find out which schools match your portfolio... very much like finding a job, finding the right MBA for you is an important step, you need to know what the strengths of an MBA school are before you think of applying for it... say you have a background of SCM and logistics, there is a great chance you will get into georgia for your MBA.. but this may not feature in the top schools so you may skip it... say you are have a background of financial consulting, with fantastic acads, then an INSEAD will prove to be your greatest bet, this all i say with the research i have done, as to which schools are good at what and what has been the trend of students who apply and get an admit... hence if you want to focus on entrepreneurship with a one year MBA, with international business as your focus, which would match my requirements... then you will apply to schools, such as JBS, SBS, Imperial and Ashridge... to name a few...


Step 3: now my quest starts...

I started my research with my research partner and then fiance (Garima), we clamped down on a few fantastic MBA programs, which we "thought" were ideal for us... let me list the schools i applied to...
1. INSEAD
2. Judge Business School (University of Cambridge)
3. HEC - Paris
4. Cranfield University Business School
5. Tanaka Business School - Imperial University

there were other schools we contemplated, if I had a bust at all the above schools... not mentioning those here...
From the above, i feel my reseach on INSEAD and HEC may have been wrong, as indicated by them with a reject without an interview (HEC was the fastest reject i got .. 5 days flat... man are they prompt in rejecting... arrow thru my heart...) and also the post-reject research on the profiles of people who got thru to these colleges clearly show that finance was high on their priority list, and given that in this time of recession, many finance pros were applying.... anyways... the remainder three were sort of in the range of what i was looking for and my profile i guess was in what they were looking for... Although in JBS and Cranfield... my age bracket was a bit on the lower side and hence i was bit circumspect... they even mentioned that in their interviews... but the industry experience i had and the final focus of my MBA as entrepreneurship and international business was matching their final aims...

No comments:

Post a Comment